Thursday, August 16, 2007

Musings of a Puerto-Rican in Hong Kong

I've been thinking lately (uh-oh, watch out): I see people shopping here *all the time.* Seriously, the stores are open until 10 or 10:30 pm every night, including Sundays. Go into any mall, even the really really really fancy malls where every store is some Italian name: Salvatore Ferragamo, Dolce and Gabbana, Emporio Armani, Versace, La Perla, Gucci and Prada, and there are gobs and gobs of people at all hours of the day. Even Tuesdays at 2 in the afternoon, do they even work? And people are buying everything in sight. It's like Crabtree Mall or Dadeland Mall or Lennox or whatever local mall is in your city 2 days before Christmas.

Yet, most apartments don't have closets! Where do they put all their schlock? Are there hidden closets and compartments in this apartment that I don't know about? I'm going to start knocking on walls to see if a secret door opens up. Perhaps everyone has hundreds of those space saver vacuum bags they sell on TV for the low-low price of $29.99 plus shipping and handling, BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! They'll even throw in a lint brush for acting in the next 3 milliseconds!

And where do they get all this money for the real Ferragamos? I can understand the crazed lunatics (ahem, Marc) buying everything in sight at Lo Wu, I mean, who can resist yet another pair of Oakley sunglasses when they are only $4? But shelling out $3,000 for a real Fendi? On a median household income of $2,000/month and rent being what it is? It just doesn't add up, literally.

And how do taxi cab drivers make any money? First, the initial investment in the car is expensive, then the fuel is exorbitant (about $5-6/gallon) but yet the average taxi cab ride, say 15 minutes, is somewhere in the neighborhood of $2-$2.50. And they still have to pay the company they work for and Uncle Hong (I guess that is the equivalent of Uncle Sam).

I just don't get it.

And one more thing. Feng Shui? What's all that about? No, I don't think that putting rocks on the northwest corner of my apartment is going to improve the "flow." If anything, I think it is a tripping hazard. I love facing the water because it is a beautiful view and it soothes me, but do I really think that it will bring me money? Not likely unless Marc is secretly a billionaire. Honey, is there something you want to tell me?

There are more little quirks about this whole Feng Shui business and they take it way seriously here but I just can't get into it. Who knows, maybe if I don't get a job in a few months I'll go ahead and buy a water buffalo for the house and make him sleep in the south-south-east quandrant of the dining room, it can't hurt.

No comments: