Friday, March 27, 2009

The Baster Incident

I was in the middle of roasting an entire chicken when I realized that I needed a baster. I had tried to scoop up the juices from the bottom of the roasting pan with a spoon and drizzle them back over the chicken to no avail, so I had to turn off the oven and head to the Japan Store in search of a baster. The Japan Home Goods Store is a bit like Big Lots, they have a lot of crap but in seasonal supply, meaning you never know if you will find what you are looking for. I scoured the kitchenware aisle and couldn't find a baster, so I asked the lady at the counter if they had any in stock. This is how the conversation went:

Me: Excuse me, do you have a baster?

Lady: (blank stare)

Me: You know, for basting a turkey or a chicken?

Lady: (blank stare)

Me (light bulb going off on top of my head, rummaging around in my bag for a scrap piece of paper and pen): Here, I'll draw it for you.
Lady (making basting action): Ahhhhhh!!!! (Something in Chinese)



Me: YES!! (I then proceed to make the aforementioned basting action, complete with slurping noises, making a complete fool out of myself) That's it!! Do you have?



Lady: No, out of stock.



Me: Of course you are.



Undeterred, I went to the grocery store where I knew they had a limited selection of kitchen utensils. I was also unable to find a baster but I did happen to find something that I thought would do the trick.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of how I came to use a balloon inflater (which came with a set of 20 long balloons and instructions on how to make a balloon poodle) to baste a roasted chicken. And boy, was it good!

No comments: